Laverstock and Ford Sports Club Rules
As amended from the 2014 AGM
1. The Club shall be named LAVERSTOCK AND FORD SPORTS CLUB.
2. The aim of the Club is to promote Social and Sports activities in the villages of Laverstock and Ford.
3. Membership to the Club shall only be by application form which must be signed by two members of the Club whose annual subscription shall be paid to date. An initial joining fee plus an annual membership fee as proposed and passed at the Yearly Annual General Meeting shall accompany the form, this fee to be returned in the event of non-election. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over. The annual subscription becomes due and payable on 1st January every year in advance.
A half yearly subscription equal to half the annual fee plus the joining fee shall be available for applicants wishing to join after 30th June in any year, and is renewable on 1st January by payment of the full annual fee.
As passed at the 2014 AGM, no further new Senior or Life memberships will be granted but all existing Senior and Life Memberships will continue to be honoured for as long as the respective individuals continue with their existing membership.
4. A member may introduce visitors as guests during the opening hours on payment of £1.00 per visitor. Members must sign in their guests in the book provided. The Committee may from time to time carry out spot checks to ensure that memberships are fully paid up and guests accounted for as detailed above.
5. The following shall not be deemed visitors as implied by Rule 4:
(a) Former members who have been expelled.
(b) Persons who have been refused nomination.
Any member who knowingly signs in a person is categories (a) and (b) above may be disciplined by the Committee.
6. The Club shall be governed by a Committee consisting of 9 members and 3 officers elected by Members of the Club. The Committee shall meet once a month, or more often if considered necessary by the Chairman. In the absence of the Chairman the Committee shall appoint a Chairman for the meeting: 51% or more shall form a quorum, the Chairman, the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Treasurer and trustees shall by virtue of their office be members of the Committee (an Auditor shall be elected annually see Rule 11).
7. Each Officers position will carry with it a term of three years. No two officer’s term of office shall expire during the same year. To ensure that this remain the case, if an officer retires or resigns in the middle of a term of office, a replacement will be elected at the next AGM for the remaining term of office for that position. The Officers positions will become due for election as shown below:
1. Treasurer – 2014 and then each subsequent 3 years.
2. Secretary – 2015 and then each subsequent 3 years.
3. Chairman – 2016 and then each subsequent 3 years. Please note that this is an extension of one year on the existing term to ensure that no two
officer’s term expires during the same year.
Three members of the Committee shall retire each year on serving a three year term. All retiring officers and committee members shall be eligible for re-election with the names of such being posted on the notice board at least 14 days before the Annual General Meeting.
Any vacancy arising on the Committee during the year shall be filled by resolution of the Committee as deemed necessary, such appointment remaining in force until the subsequent Annual General Meeting.
All Officers are required to give three month’s notice of retirement.
8. No members shall be allowed to vote at any Annual General Meeting, or take part in the management of the affairs of the Club, unless their subscriptions for the current year shall have been paid: and no Temporary member shall propose or second any Candidate for membership or have any interest or claim in the property and funds of the Club.
9. Liquor must not be supplied for consumption off the premises except to a Member personally on the premises.
The opening hours of the Club shall be decided by the Committee within the terms of the Club Premises Licence, The opening hours applicable to Bank Holidays shall be posted in advance on the notice board.
The Committee shall have power to vary the hours of opening and closing of the Club as they see appropriate.
10. Should the Committee decide that the conduct of any Member, either within or outside of the Club, is not in keeping with the conduct expected by Club Members, or if any Member breaks the Club’s rules, the Committee shall consider the situation at a disciplinary hearing which the offending member shall be invited to attend.
Please note that misconduct also includes any abuse of the club or its committee/officers made by members including material that is placed on social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter etc.
If the offence is considered to be serious and the Committee considers that it is in the best interests of the Club and its Members for the member to be expelled, the member’s membership may be revoked for a period of time to be notified by the Committee.
During a period of expulsion the Member will have their name erased from the list of Members and they shall cease to have any interest in, or claims on the property or funds of the Club and they will not be allowed entrance to the Club as a visitor.
(a) There shall be a quorum of the Committee present at any meeting specially summoned for the purpose of this Rule.
(b) A majority vote of the Members of the Committee present and voting shall be necessary to give effect to any resolution relating hereto.
(c) All payments for Entrance Fee or Subscription made by any Member who shall be expelled shall be forfeited.
11. The accounts shall be audited annually by an Auditor appointed by the Committee and an abstract of the Income & Expenditure, audited up to the close of the financial year, being 31 March, shall be presented at the Annual General Meeting. The Annual General Meeting shall be held as soon as possible after the accounting year end.
The abstract of the Income and Expenditure shall be posted on the notice board seven days prior to the Annual General Meeting.
12. The Annual General Meeting of the members shall be held at the earliest possible date after 31 March for the following purposes:
(a) To receive from the Committee a Report and Abstract of the state of the Accounts and general concerns for the past year.
(b) To elect Members to serve on the Committee in accordance with Rule 7.
(c) To decide any proposition which may be submitted to such meeting in accordance with the Rules of the Club.
13. Rules shall be subject to alteration. All propositions for adoption or alteration of any Rules or affecting the Funds (except the expenses of the management) shall be made to the Honorary Secretary in writing 14 days prior to a General Meeting with the names of the Proposer and Seconder. The Honorary Secretary shall place such propositions before the next Meeting of the Committee, who shall report thereon, and notify the same on the Agenda for the next Annual General Meeting. The proposed alteration to be posted in the Clubhouse for not less than 7 clear days preceding the Annual General Meeting.
14. Twenty eight days’ notice of a General Meeting shall be given to all Members (temporary members excepted). A copy of the notice of such a meeting shall be posted on the notice board at least 14 days prior to the meeting. The notice is to specify the purpose of the Meeting.
Any member who wishes to propose any resolution not relating to rules is required to notify such resolution in writing to the Honorary Secretary at least 8 days prior to the Annual General Meeting. The resolution should then be displayed on the notice board for not less than 7 days preceding the Annual General Meeting.
No business other than that of which notice has been given shall be considered at such a meeting.
15. The Committee may call a Special Meeting of the Club at any time. If the Committee is requested by not less than 20 members to call a Special General Meeting, it must do so within 21 days of the request being received. The request should specify the purpose of the meeting in writing and be signed by the 20 members such request being delivered to the Honorary Secretary.
The discussion at any such Special General Meeting shall be solely confined to the subject for which the meeting was called and no resolution or amendment shall be submitted unless reference was made to such a resolution or amendment in the original request.
No subject which does not relate to the management or concerns of the Club shall be proposed at any Annual or Special General Meeting.
Any proposal which has been discussed at any Annual or Special General Meeting and defeated shall not be brought again until the expiry of at least six months from the initial hearing.
16. The Committee may make bye-laws and regulations in addition to these rules as they consider appropriate for the management of the Club. They may impose suitable fines for the breach of any such bye-laws or regulations. Any bye-laws and regulations made by the Committee shall be binding on all members.
17. All communications are to be addressed to the Honorary Secretary.
18. The Committee shall have power to close the Club premises or any part thereof for any special purpose.
19. The Committee is responsible for engaging, dismissing or temporarily suspending the Club employees. The conduct of such employees shall in no case be made a matter of personal reprimand by any Member; but should there be any cause for complaint, it should be reported in writing to the Honorary Secretary who will lay it before the Committee. No Member shall give any money or gratuity to any Club servant.
20. A list of Members shall be exhibited in the Club, and shall be open to the inspection of any Member.
21. All moneys received shall be paid to the Club’s bankers once a week, and all payments made on behalf of the Club, after being ordered by the Committee, shall be made by cheques, except petty disbursements. All cheques shall be signed by the Chairman, and Honorary Treasurer or Honorary Secretary. All monthly income to be reported and verified by the Committee.
22. If at any time the commitee passes a resolution authorising the club to borrow money:
a. The Committee may borrow for the purposes of the Club the amount of money (either at one time or from time to time) and at the rate of interest, in the form and manner and upon the security specified in the resolution, and The Trustees must at the direction the Committee make any disposition of the Club property or any part of it and enter into any agreement in relation the Club property as the Committee thinks proper to give security for the loan and interest.
23. There shall be not more than four Trustees of the Club. The first Trustees shall be appointed by the Committee and the property of the Club (other than cash which shall be under the control of the Treasurer) shall be vested in them to be dealt with by them as the Committee shall from time to time direct by resolution (of which an entry in the Minute Book shall be conclusive evidence). The trustees shall be indemnified against risk and expense out of the Club property. The Trustees shall hold office until death or resignation or until removed from office by the resolution of the Committee who may for any reason which may seem sufficient to a majority of them present and voting at any meeting remove any Trustee or Trustees from the office of Trustee. Where by reason of any such death, resignation or removal it shall appear necessary to the Committee that a new Trustees or Trustees shall be appointed or if the Committee shall deem it expedient to appoint additional Trustee or additional Trustees the Committee shall by resolution nominate the person or persons to be appointed the new Trustee or Trustees. For the purpose of giving effect to such nomination the Chairman is hereby nominated as the person to appoint new Trustees of the Club and provision of the Trustee Act 1925 shall apply to any such appointment. Any statement of fact in any such deed of appointment shall in favour of a person dealing bona fide and for value with the Club of the Committee be conclusive evidence of the fact so stated.
24. No spouse/partner may serve as Officers of the club during the same period.